Tomacork Church from 1794 - present
Page compiled by Joe Kenny - http://www.kennytree.com
For over 200 years, the Kennys, Balfes and many other families related, came here to worship.
For various reasons, mainly resulting from the'98 rebellion, church record and information are not available from the church's early years, prior to 1830, though some records before this date do exist.
Here are some various records of Kennys in the Tomacork Parish
Here are some various records of Tobin's in the Tomacork Parish
Here are more records from the Tomacork Parish regarding the Kenny name
The church is located 1.5 miles from Carnew. In its original form, it was a rectangular building with a thatched roof. The Tomacork Church is the second oldest church in the Diocese of Ferns and believed to be the only church not burned by the Yeomen in the '98 Rebellion for a couple of reason; it was partially built by Lord Fitzwilliam and the Yeomen used the church to stable their horses in 1798. It was expanded in 1820, re-faced in 1954, and remodeled in 1991.
In 1928, a large chunk of ceiling had fallen onto the Sanctuary, but no-one was hurt. The church committee had iron girders installed to reinforce the roof.
The cross over the Vestry doors has one arm missing, because it was used by the Yeomen as target practice. The marble alter was purchased in 1929 for 350 PS and is still in use today. The Sanctuary lamp was donated by Lady Alice Fitzwilliam.
In the 1830's the Earl Fitzwilliam, donated several hundred Pounds Sterling, when they were struggling with various expenses. He also donated the bell that is still in place today. This was un-heard of, for a Protestant, to be so generous for the benefit of a Catholic Church. See more on Lord Fitzwilliam.
Information from the booklet, Tomacork Church 1794-1994
More pictures of some of the graves markers
Ancient Kilcavan Church
Pictures of Tomacork Church
B&W and aerial view was taken from the booklet mentioned above.
The B&W alter picture is from 1925.
Parish priests were as follows:
Name of Priest Date appointed - died/retired
Rev. Michael Murphy 1811-1847
Rev. James Murphy 1847-1872
Rev. Loughlin Druhan 1872-1879
Rev. Walter Sinnott 1879-1911
Rev. James Prandy 1911-1948
Rev. John Kelly 1948-1968
Rev. John Doran 1968-1977
Rev. John McCarthy 1977-after 1994