Kilcavan Slate Quarry
The Kilcavan Slate quarry was in operation from around 1800 to 1941. Slate was used for many types of building and a by product called "Inner Tight", which was a fine powder rock used as a base for battleship paint, was shipped to England. (Information from Joseph Dowse)
The quarry attracted many people to this part of County Wicklow and provided steady work in times during the famine.